Sunday, November 21, 2004

Rachel said...

"Well, after you asked me the other day about this, I got to thinking. And it seems to me that each emotion serves its purpose, even the ones that we go out of our way not to feel. Like shame. Shame keeps us from becoming too proud and arrogant. Guilt keeps us from doing things that are mean or wrong. Fear can be a protector, in certain situations - for example, we wouldn't jump off a building for fear that we would die. And while depression sucks, many depressed people have created some beautiful art. So...I guess I can't think of any completely useless or uneeded emotion.

Though they can definitely be a nuisence from time to time."

Oddly enough I agree with Rachel. Without emotions life would be dull and uneventful. Think of all the funny things that happen when people act out of fear, even anger. We all need to know what time it is the right time to laugh at something, if we don't than we really could hurt someone very close to us. Good day y'all!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Rock on! I feel special.

I did think of an emotion that I would like to weaken though, even if it does serve a purpose: embarassment. While it may keep people from acting like fools, being humiliated or embarassed when you do something stupid accidentally really sucks.